Purchasing/Paying for Goods and Services


CASSS Turn-Around Goals

Low/Normal 1 business day* Medium/Warning 3 business days* High/Critical 4 business days*

*CASSS goal for completing purchases of goods and for initial submission of payments in Ariba.  Please note: Final time-lines for payments and reimbursements are critically dependent on responses from payees (providing payment details, including tax ID numbers; signing and returning ERs/XRs) and vendors (providing payment details, completing vendor registration).



  1. How do I choose a payment type? Don’t worry.  CASSS will review your request to confirm the payment type.  Always feel free to add any concerns in the notes section.
  2. When should I request a BPO? As soon as you know that a contract is in the offing.
  3. Who should negotiate and sign a contract? While contract negotiation requires departmental content area expertise, the contract language itself should be formulated and approved by Procurement Services.  Only Procurement Services may sign a contract on behalf of any UW unit. 
  4. Who will collect tax identification numbers from payees? Best practice demands very strict control over tax identification numbers. For this reason, CASSS’s standard procedure is to collect the numbers over the phone after a visitor has provided legal name and permanent address. 
  5. Can individuals be reimbursed for payment of services? No, unless the service and payment occurred abroad.  Please contact CASSS for more information. 
  6. How do I pay foreign vendors? This can be complicated. Contact CASSS as soon as you know you will need to pay a foreign vendor.
  7. How does my foreign guest apply for a tax identification number? CASSS will assist your guest in applying for a TIN, which involves an in-person appointment with Procurement Services.  Please be aware that TINs can take many weeks to receive and will hence delay honorarium payments.
  8. What happens if my foreign guest comes from a country without a US tax treaty? Your guest will be charged taxes on the honorarium. 
  9. How do I track my Ariba transactions? CASSS resolves tickets once all information has been entered into Ariba.  Track payments in Ariba using the reports function or contact CASSS for assistance.
  10. Who should complete Ariba compliance and funding approval? Compliance approval rests with the CASSS manager; funding approval is completed by the department administrator/designee.
  11. How do I request that CASSS add an extra approver to Ariba? Add the name or UW email in the appropriate field on the intake form.
  12. Should I purchase items using eProcurement? If you are an “opt-in” department, CASSS will make standard purchases on your behalf. 
  13. How will I know what has been charged through the CASSS Procard? All expenses charged to the CASSS Procard are reconciled to the budget listed in your purchase request intake.  Details are available in MyFD and through Procurement Desktop Reports.
  14. What should I do with packing slips? Departments are responsible for reconciling and storing packing slips according to Records Management guidelines.
  15. What should I do if I don’t receive something CASSS ordered for me? Contact CASSS as soon as you discover the problem.
  16. What happens if I have to return something CASSS ordered for me? CASSS will return it for you.  Please contact us.



Managing HR/Payroll


CASSS Turn-Around Goals

Low/Normal 3 hours* Medium/Warning 1 business day* High/Critical 3 business days*

*CASSS goal for completing updates to existing payroll records.  Please note: The time-line for on-boarding is critically dependent on responses from new hires.  Individuals must visit the CASSS offices to complete I-9 and other paperwork within three days of the start of work; appointments cannot be entered into the payroll system prior to completion of the I-9



  1. How does CASSS assign hiring manager roles in HR Workbench? CASSS assigns the HR Workbench submitter to that role. 
  2. Do I need to fill out a new hire intake form once I have received Compensation’s approval to hire? Yes, because the new hire intake form contains information that we do not ask for in Workbench (such as supervisors).
  3. How do I request early email access for my new employee? Please submit a New Hire form and add a note regarding early email.  (Note: Early email will not be an option in the Workday system.)
  4. Can I use my own spreadsheet for bulk payroll requests? Yes, but please take a look at our spreadsheet so that you include the required information on your spreadsheet. Your spreadsheet should not be locked and should be sortable.
  5. Can I make my own OPUS changes? No.  CASSS units’ OPUS entries are entered by the CASSS team.  Department administrators should review the PERMs for accuracy.
  6. How should I request payments to students through SDB? Please use our intake form.  (https://ssc.artsci.washington.edu/forms/sdb-entry-request
  7. What happens if my budget isn’t set up for payments in SDB? Request the budget setup through Student Fiscal Service’s form. (https://f2.washington.edu/fm/sfs/request-sdb-budget-setup-or-revisions)
  8. Does CASSS complete Work Study forms?  No. The Work Study forms are the responsibility of the department. CASSS does, however, complete the OPUS entries for Work Study students on behalf of member departments.
  9. What are best practices in managing timesheet submission and approval during the payroll open window? Please pay special attention to the Payroll Office deadlines.  CASSS also strongly encourages departments to submit data well ahead of these deadlines.  Timesheets should be approved no later than 12 noon on cut-off day in order to leave time for PTR entry and approval.



Hosting/Hiring Foreign Nationals


Lead-Time Recommendations

J-1 Scholar: 3 months
J-1 VISIT: 3 months (no exceptions)
H-1B: 7 - 10 months



  1. What is the difference between the J-1 Scholar and J-1 VISIT programs? J-1 Scholars generally have a terminal degree and appointment at a higher education institution.  J-1 VISIT recipients are interns who are students at their home institutions; they may not be registered students at the UW.
  2. Must a J-1 Scholar have an academic appointment at UW? Yes. The J-1 scholar must at least have a courtesy appointment. 
  3. May a J-1 Scholar be an instructor of record? It depends; please contact us to discuss.
  4. May a J-1 VISIT student enroll in classes? No.  J-1 VISIT recipients are considered interns; they do not pay tuition hence they may not enroll or audit classes.
  5. What happens if there is a mistake on a DS-2019? DS-2019’s with incorrect information must be reissued.
  6. Who on campus receives the DS-2019? Who mails it to the visa recipient? If the person will be a J-1 Scholar, the final DS-2019 comes to the CASSS offices.  CASSS then sends it via overnight express (FedEx) to the scholar. If the person is coming through the VISIT program, the VISIT programs sends out the DS-2019. 
  7. May a J-2 visa holder work at the UW? No.
  8. Who needs an H-1B visa? A faculty appointee with a full-time, multi-year contract.
  9. Does CASSS process other visa types? CASSS processes J-1 Scholar, J-2, J-1 VISIT, and H-1B visas and permanent residency applications.
  10. When should my department begin the “green card” application process? As soon as possible. Best practice: start the green card process for tenure-eligible appointees simultaneously with the H-1B visa application.
  11. Can my F-1 visa holder work more than 20 hours/week?  Only during class breaks and only in one quarter out of four, during the annual vacation quarter. This is usually but not always over the summer quarter. Students should consult with International Student Services. http://iss.washington.edu/employment/f1-employment/on-campus  
  12. Where do I find more information regarding UW’s visa policies and procedures? Visit the International Scholar Operations website: https://ap.washington.edu/iso/